Frequently Asked Questions
Forums, Threads and Posts
- What is a bulletin board?
- A bulletin board is an online discussion Platform. It's sometimes also called a 'board' or 'forums'. It may contain several categories, consisting of forums, threads and individual posts.
- How is all this structured?
- The bulletin board as a whole contains various categories (broad subject areas), which themselves contain forums (more specific subject areas) which contain threads (conversations on a topic) which are made up of individual posts (where a user writes something).The board home page has a list of categories and forums, with basic statistics for each - including the number of threads and posts, and which member posted the most recent message.
- How do I find my way around?
- When you click on a forum's name, you are taken to the list of threads it contains. A thread is a conversation between members or guests. Each thread starts out as a single post and grows as more individual posts are added by different users. Threads can show how useful or popular they are and may contain polls.
To start a new thread simply click on the + Post New Thread button (you may need the right permissions to do this).
Threads can be ordered in many different ways. The default is to have the thread with the most recent activity at the top. But you can easily change this ordering, for example to have the thread with the most posts at the top, or the highest rating. Simply click on the appropriate column heading at the top of the list of threads (Thread, Thread Starter, Rating, Last Post, Replies or Views). You can also reverse the sorting order by clicking the arrow next to the name of the active option. (Note that 'sticky' threads will always be at the top no matter how you change the viewing options).
- Multi-page views
- When there are more threads to display than will fit on a single page, you may see the 'Page' box, which contains page numbers. This indicates that the list of threads has been split over two or more pages.
This method of splitting lists of items over many pages is used throughout the board.
- What are sticky threads?
- Sticky' threads are created by moderators or administrators, and remain 'stuck' to the top of the listing, even if they haven't had any posts recently. Their purpose is to keep important information visible and accessible at all times.
- How do I read a thread?
- read a thread, click on its title. Each post in a thread is created by a member or a guest. You'll see some brief information about the member who created the thread above the main post message. In some cases it will be to the side of the post.
To post a reply to an existing thread, click on the + Reply to Thread button. If this button does not appear, it could mean that you are not logged in as a member, or that you do not have permission to reply, or that the thread has been closed to new replies.
If enabled, there will also be a 'Quick Reply' box where you can quickly enter a reply without having to go to the 'Post Reply' page. You may need to click the quick reply button Reply in a post to activate the quick reply box before you can type into it.
On long threads you may want to change how the posts are ordered. For more on different ways to view and navigate threads.
- Is there a faster way to get to forums?
- If you know which forum you want to go to, you can use the 'Quick Navigation' control, which appears at the bottom of many pages within the board.
- How do I find out more about members?
- To view information about a particular member, click on the user name. This will take you to their public profile page.
- What is the Navigation Bar?
- The navigation bar at the top of every page has links to help you move around. A 'breadcrumb' area at the top left shows where you are now. A form on the right allows you to quickly login. With one click you can reach areas such as: the User control panel, FAQ (which you are reading now), the Calendar, Search options and Quick Links to other useful features..
- What is the 'What's Going On?' box on the board home page?
- On the Board home page you'll see a section at the bottom that tells you what's going on at the moment. It tells you things like the number of registered users online, the number of guests, and even things like birthdays, and forthcoming events.
- Can I change the way the board looks?
- You may be able to change the styling of the board by using the style changer in the bottom left of the page. This lets you choose different skins which change the color scheme and appearance of the board. If this option does not appear, the board cannot be restyled.
▪ The administrator will probably require you to register in order to use all the features of the forum. Being registered gives you an identity on the board, a fixed username on all messages you post and an online public profile.
▪ Registration is free (unless otherwise specified), and offers an extended range of features, including:
▪ Posting new threads
Replying to other peoples' threads
▪ Editing your posts
▪ Receiving email notification of replies to posts and threads you specify
▪ Sending private messages to other members
▪ Creating albums of photos and comment on others' photos
▪ Adding events to the forum calendar
▪ Setting up a 'contact list' to quickly see which of your friends are online.
- How do I register?
- You can register by clicking on the ‘Create Account’ Tab on the application. You will be asked to choose a user name, password, enter a valid email address and valid mobile number. In addition there will be some other fields to which you will be invited to respond. Some will be mandatory while others are optional. Once this is complete you will either be fully registered, you have to click on a OTP sent to your Mobile number which you provided. Once you have done this you will be registered.
Note that entering your email address will not leave you open to 'spam', as you can choose to hide it from other board users. The system won't display your email address to them unless you give permission.
- How do I search for something?
- To quickly find a thread or post of interest anywhere on the bulletin board, click on the 'Search' link in the navigation bar at the top of most forum pages. Then, type in the keyword or phrase you wish to search for, and select either 'Show Threads' or 'Show Posts' to view the results. By selecting posts, you will be shown only the actual post in which the search word appears.
For more control over the search, select 'Advanced Search' from the drop-down box. The advanced search page allows you to restrict your search to individual forums, find posts or threads by user, or return results based on tags. There are also options to find posts from a certain date, or threads with a certain number of replies.
- How do I search a specific forum or thread?
- If you are browsing a forum, you can quickly search for a thread or post within it by clicking on the 'Search this forum' link near the top of the page (it's above the list of threads). You can also search for individual posts within a thread by clicking on the 'Search this Thread' link at the top of any thread view page.
- What are announcements?
- Announcements are special messages posted by the administrator or moderators. They are a simple one-way communication with the users and you can't reply. If you wish to discuss announcements, you will have to create a new thread in the forum.
Announcement threads are displayed at the top of forum listing pages, above regular and sticky threads.
- How can I see the latest posts?
- There are two ways to quickly view recently created or updated threads.
If you are not logged in, the 'today's posts' link will show a list of all threads that have been created or updated in the last 24 hours.
If you are logged in, the 'Today's Posts' link will change to 'New Posts', which gives you a listing of all threads that have been created or updated since your last visit.
The administrator can also set up the forums so that each thread you read is marked in the database. If this option is set, then new threads (or threads with new posts) will not be marked as read until you have actually read them.
There is a built-in time limit to this, however, that will automatically mark all threads as 'read' after a set number of day, whether you really have read them or not. The default setting is 10 days, but the administrator could make this higher or lower.
- What are ratings?
- The forums allow you to rate threads between 1 star (terrible) and 5 stars (excellent). Once enough votes are cast for a thread, stars will appear next to its name in the listings. These show the average vote, and can be an easy way to see which threads are worth reading if you are on a busy forum.
On the forum viewing page you can also arrange threads by rating, with either the highest or lowest at the top.
It therefore makes sense to rate threads because it helps all users. To do this, click on the 'rate thread' link at the top of the thread viewing page. Choose the number of stars you feel best represents the quality of the thread. You may or may not be able to change your choice of rating at a later date..
- What are thread tools?
- At the top of each thread, there is a link called 'Thread Tools'. By clicking on this link, a menu will appear with a number of optionsShow Printable Version - this will show you a page with the thread post content in a reduced graphics format that is more 'printer friendly'.
Email this Page - if you think the thread may be interesting to someone else, you can forward a link to it to their email address.
Subscribe (or Unsubscribe) from this Thread - by subscribing to a thread, you will receive periodic email updates on recent activity within it.
Adding a Poll - if you started the thread, you can add a poll to it with this option.
- What are tags?
- Tags are a useful way to search for threads with similar subject matter and content. This complements the normal search system, which searches only for certain words or phrases and/or posts by specific users.
To use tags, you add words or phrases to threads to help describe the content. For instance, if the subject matter is 'photography' then you can add the tag 'photography' to the tag list. But you could also add tags like 'digital image', and 'camera' (depending, of course, on the nature of the thread).
This will categorize this thread with all other threads that have matching tags, whether or not they have the word 'photography' in them.
- Who adds the tags?
- Tags are initially added to threads by the user who started the thread. Other users may also be able to add and remove tags.
- How do I use tags?
- Tags are displayed in a box near the bottom of a thread page. Clicking on a tag will allow you to view other threads that have the same tag - and which may be related. Clicking on the word 'Tags' in the top of the box will take you to an overview page with a 'tag cloud.'
This cloud allows you to see which tags are the most popular - the larger the word, the more times it has been used on threads within the board. There is also another tag cloud on the advanced search page that shows you the tags that have been searched for (or clicked on) the most.
- What is 'Automatic Login'?
- When you register (and also when you login using the form at the top of the screen), you will be given the option to 'Remember Me'. This will store your identity securely in a cookie on your computer. If you are using a shared computer, such as in a library, school or internet cafe, or if you have reason to not trust any other users that might use this computer, we recommend you do not enable this.
- How do I clear cookies?
- You can clear all your cookies set by the forum by clicking the 'logout' link at the top of the page. In some cases, if you return to the main index page via the link provided and you are still logged in, you may have to remove your cookies manually.In Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP: Click the 'Tools' menu. Select 'Internet Options' from the menu that appears. Click 'Delete Cookies' on the dialog box that appears. It will be in the center area of the 'General' tab.
In Internet Explorer 7: Click the 'Tools' menu. Select 'Internet Options' from the menu that appears. Click 'Delete...', beneath 'Browsing History' on the dialog box that appears. It will be in the center area of the 'General' tab. Click 'Delete cookies...' on the next dialog box that appears.
In Firefox: Click the 'Tools' menu. Select 'Options' from the menu that appears. From the dialog box, select 'Privacy' on the left. Find 'Cookies' on the main pane, and click the 'Clear' button adjacent to it.
In Safari: Go to Preferences, Security, then show Cookies and either select 'Remove all' or select individual cookies and then the 'Delete' button.
In Opera: Go to Tools, Preferences, Advanced, Cookies, Manage cookies then select the name of this site and click the 'Delete' button.
Your cookies should now be removed. You may want to restart the computer and revisit the forums to be sure.
Other browsers may have a different method of clearing cookies. Refer to the documentation for your own browser if you are unsure.
- I forgot my password. What can I do?
- If you forget your password, you can click on the ‘Forgot Your Password’ tab through our application. This will appear on the login page on the application.
This link brings up a page where you should enter your registered email address. An email will be sent to that address shortly, with instructions for resetting your password.
Since passwords are encrypted, there is no way to resend your original password. This option provides you with the ability to reset your password.
You must be able to receive OTP through which you can create your new password..
- What is the Members List?
- The members list shows the registered members of the board. Providing the administrator allows this, you can view the member list ordered alphabetically by username, by the date they joined, by the number of posts they have made or by reputation.
To view the members list, click on ‘Member List’ on main navigation bar at the top of the page.
To quickly find a particular member, click on the ‘Search Members’ link and type a username (or partial username) into the box. For further search options - including searching based on join date, post count or home page - click on 'Advanced Search' on the search menu..
- Are all members listed?
- Some members may not be on the list. The administrator has options over who is shown on the list. They may, for example, omit members who have not made many posts or who belong to certain user groups.
- What are Your Notifications?
- When you have logged into the board, a link to 'Your Notifications' may be displayed in the 'Welcome' box near the top of the forum. 'Your Notifications' will show if you have any one of the following:
• Unread Private Messages
• Unread Profile Visitor Messages
• Profile Visitor Messages Awaiting Approval
• Incoming Friend Requests
• Requests to Join Your Groups
• Invitations to Join Groups
• Unread Photo Comments
• Photo Comments Awaiting Approval
By clicking on the 'Your Notifications' link, you will be able to quickly see how many of each type you have received. Clicking on any of the links in the menu will take you to the relevant page within the User control panel or elsewhere in the system.
If there are no notifications, then this link will be replaced by a link to 'Private Messages.
- What is the Quick Links menu?
- The navigation bar at the top of each page has several helpful links. One of them is a dropdown menu called Quick Links. (It appears only to registered members who are logged in). Clicking it once with the mouse will make it drop down and show the following options:
• Quick Links
◦ Today's Posts (shows posts created in the past 24 hours)
◦ Mark Forums Read (marks all the threads and posts as read for your session - this is a shortcut alternative to actually reading the threads and posts)
◦ Open Contacts Popup (opens a new window with a list of all your contacts)
◦ Friends and Contacts (a page from where you can manage your network)
◦ Groups (where you can manage your Groups)
◦ Photos and Albums (where you can manage your photos and albums)
▪ Where you can search different things in forums.
◦ Active topics
◦ The Team
- Can I email other members?
- Yes. To send an email to another member, you can either find them on the member list, or choose the Send Email option from the username menu in any post they have written.
This will usually open a page that contains a form where you can enter your message. When you have finished typing your message, press the 'send email' button and your message will be sent instantly.
- Can I see email addresses?
- For privacy reasons, the recipient's email address is not revealed to you during this process.
- Why can't I send an email to someone?
- If you cannot find an email button or link for a member, it means either that the administrator has disabled email functions for this forum, or that the member has said that they do not wish to receive email from other members.
- Can I email a link to a friend?
- Another useful email function is the ability to send a friend a link to a thread you think they may find interesting. Whenever you view a thread, you will find a link somewhere on the page which will allow you to send a brief message to anyone you like. Your referrer ID is added to the link you send, so if your friend registers on this forum as a result of viewing the link you sent to them, your referrals total will automatically be credited.
- What is private messaging ?
- Registered members may also be able to send messages to other members of this forum using the private messaging system. For more information about private messaging.
- What are visitor messages?
- Registered members may leave messages for other members on their profile page. These messages can generally be viewed by all visitors, including members, guests and search engine spiders. For more information on visitor messages.
- Can I block posts, emails and messages from specific users?
- If there are particular members that bother you and you do not want to see their posts or receive Private Messages and Emails from them, then you can add these members to your 'Ignore List'. There are several ways to do this:
Through your User Control Panel: User CP, Settings & Options, Edit-Ignore list. Then, type their name into the empty text box and click 'Okay'.
- What if I see something offensive?
- You will find 'Report' links in many places throughout the board. These links allow you to alert the board staff to anything which you find to be offensive, objectionable or illegal.
Posting new messages, editing post, attachments and Administrators/Moderators
- How do I format my posts and messages?
- When posting messages you may wish to include some formatting such as bold text, italic text and underlined text.
Adding formatting to your post can be done in two ways:
• Using clickable controls similar to those found in most word processors
• Typing formatting commands in BB code
Clickable controls are available in the Standard editors. The difference between these is that the standard editor will show the BB code in your message and be processed when it is displayed.
To use these, simply click the button, for example the B (bold) button and then type to get bold text. Click the button again to stop using that formatting. You can also highlight text that you have already typed then click the formatting button to format existing text.
BB code is a special set of codes similar to HTML that can be used in posts to the board. To see the full list of BB code tags that can be used on this site and examples of their use..
- Replying to a Post
- On some boards you might be able to post and reply as a guest user. But most communities require registration.
As a registered user you can go to a forum on a board where you have permission to view threads and leave replies. To reply you have a few options. You can click on the + Reply to Thread button and add a new post to the end of the thread. Alternatively, you can leave a quick reply in a quick editor box listed below the posts in the thread.
When using 'Quick Reply' you can choose to quote a particular post if you are replying to something someone wrote. You may need to click the quick reply button Reply in a post to activate the quick reply box before you can type into it.
If you want to post replies to multiple posts you can select them by clicking the multi quote button . This button will change to indicate that you've selected it. Clicking post reply will then bring you to the full editor with all the posts quoted..
- Can I edit or delete my posts?
- If you have registered and are logged in, you may be able to edit and delete your posts (although the administrator may have turned off this option). Your ability to edit your posts may be time-limited, depending on how the administrator has set up the forum.
To edit or delete your posts, click the Edit Post button by the particular post. If your post was the first in the thread, then deleting it may remove the entire thread.
Once you've made your modifications, a note may appear to inform other users that you have edited your post.
If the edit time and date appear as a link you can click on this to see the differences between the original and edited versions, or between edits if there have been multiple edits..
- How do I create a new poll?
- When you post a new thread, you may also have the option to create a poll.
This allows you to ask a question and specify a number of possible responses. Other members will then be able to vote for the response they wish, and the results of the voting will be displayed in the thread.
An example poll might be:
What is your favorite color?
• Pink with yellow spots
To create a poll when you post a new thread, simply click the 'Yes, post a poll with this thread' checkbox at the bottom of the page, and set the number of possible responses you want to include.
When you click the submit button, you will be taken to the poll creation page, where you can specify the question and the list of responses you want to include.
You may also want to specify a time limit for the poll, so that (for example) it stays open for voting for only a week..
- How do I vote in a poll and view the results?
- To vote in a poll, simply select which option you want to vote for, and click the 'Vote!' button. Sometime you can choose more than one option. You can see the current results for a poll before you vote by clicking the 'View Results' link. Voting in a poll is entirely optional. You may vote for any of the available options, or cast no vote at all.
Note whether or not a poll is a public poll. If it is, any votes you cast will be attributable to you.
Generally, once you have voted in a poll, you will not be able to change your vote later, so place your vote carefully!
- How do I attach a file to a post?
- To attach a file to your post, you need to be using the main 'New Post' or 'New Thread' page and not 'Quick Reply'. To use the main 'New Post' page, click the 'Post Reply' button in the relevant thread.
On this page, below the message box, you will find a button labelled 'Manage Attachments'. Clicking this button will open a new window for uploading attachments. You can upload an attachment either from your computer or from another URL by using the appropriate box on this page. Alternatively you can click the Attachment Icon to open this page.
To upload a file from your computer, click the 'Browse' button and locate the file. To upload a file from another URL, enter the full URL for the file in the second box on this page. Once you have completed one of the boxes, click 'Upload'.
Once the upload is completed the file name will appear below the input boxes in this window. You can then close the window to return to the new post screen.
- What files types can I use? How large can attachments be?
- In the attachment window you will find a list of the allowed file types and their maximum sizes. Files that are larger than these sizes will be rejected. There may also be an overall quota limit to the number of attachments you can post to the board.
- How do I add an image to a post?
- If you have uploaded an image as an attachment, you can click the arrow next to the 'Attachment Icon' and select it from the list. This will be inserted into your post and can be located where you want it displayed.
To include an image that is not uploaded as an attachment and is located on another website, you can do so by copying the full URL to the image, (not the page on which the image is located), and either pressing the 'Insert Image' icon or by typing [img] before the URL and [/img] after it, ensuring that you do not have any spaces before or after the URL of the image. You can insert photos from your albums too.
- What are smilies?
- Smilies are icons that can be used in your posts to express emotions or feelings. You might wish to use these to show that you are happy, sad, joking, or embarrassed. For example, if you are telling a joke or being sarcastic you may wish to add a wink instead of writing 'this is a joke'.
The basic smilies are the same as what you would find on any instant messenger system. They are made up of a combination of characters which often show the basis of the resulting image. For example, :) is converted to a smiley face and :( to a sad face or frown. Tilt your head to the left to see this in action as these consist of two eyes and a mouth either smiling or frowning.
- How do I add smilies?
- Some smilies can be accessed from the 'New Post' or 'New Thread' pages if your administrator has enabled this function. Clicking them will automatically insert them into your message. You can also type the character combinations for the smilies directly. A full list of the smilies and their character combinations used on this forum can be found.
On occasions, you may want to prevent the text in your message being converted into smilies. You will see a checkbox which you can select when you make a new post, which will allow you to 'Disable Smilies'.
- What are message icons?
- Message Icons, also known as Post Icons, are small icons that appear in the title of your post. If your post is the first in a thread, then they also display in the thread listings. If the board administrator has enabled these, they can be found below the message box on the 'New Post' and 'New Thread' pages. Simply select the icon that you wish to use and this will be displayed before your thread title.
- What are thread prefixes?
- Thread Prefixes can be used to further identify your thread as containing a particular content in the forum. If your administrator has enabled these, you will see a box before the title box which contains a menu with the available prefixes for you to choose from.
- What are moderators and administrators?
- Moderators oversee specific forums. They generally have the ability to edit and delete posts, move threads, and perform other actions. Becoming a moderator for a specific forum is usually rewarded to users who are particularly helpful and knowledgeable in the subject of the forum they are moderating.
Administrators are the people who have overall control of everything that happens on the board. They oversee how the board is styled, what forums to create and how to organize them, what information to require from members and who to appoint as moderators.
Nimbuzz Application FAQs
- From where can I download nimbuzz?
- Android users can download from Playstore - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nimbuz&hl=en
Apple users can download directly from app store - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/nimbuzz-free-calls-messaging/id297574648?mt=8
For Blackberry users please follow this link - https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/ content/4288/?lang=en&countrycode=IN
Windows phone users can download Nimbuzz from here - http://www.windowsphone.com/en-in/store/app/nimbuzz/dbff9b0e-7c9d-4914-b56a-9d6052a9a7c2
On you PC please use this link to download Nimbuzz - http://www.nimbuzz.com/en/get/voip-and-chat-pc/pc-client-downloaded/
On you MAC please use this link to download Nimbuzz - http://www.nimbuzz.com/en/get/voip-and-chat-mac/mac-client-downloaded/
You can download from Symbian Store - http://www.nimbuzz.com/en/get/voip-and-chat-mobile/
JAVA phone users can download Nimbuzz using this link - http://www.getjar.com/mobile/6865/nimbuzz/
- How to register on nimbuzz and nimbuzz products?
- On PC and mobile application, please click on “Create Account” and follow the steps (such as: username, password, captcha verification etc) to create a new account.
- What if my account got blocked/suspended?
- You can write to us on firstname.lastname@example.org or You can use the one time unblock procedure to unblock your Nimbuzz account.One time unblock procedure is available on updated nimbuzz application. Kindly note if your id is unblocked once you cannot unblock it again and the nimbuzz id will be blacked permanently..
- What if I get some error during the time I spent/run time in the application, website etc?
- You can report/raise a ticket us on email@example.com and our expert technical assistant will be with you shortly. Provided you specify some details as follows
Which device and os you were using.
Which application version is installed on your device.
What type of connect are you using.
What is your network provider/operator.
What is the error message you’re getting.
- What if I forgot the password associated with my nimbuzz id?
- On Nimbuzz application , you can request for a password reset by going to the nimbuzz login screen, click on ‘Help ?’ And pressing ‘ Forgot your password’. In case you don’t remember the details which you mention in creating the nimbuzz id, you won’t be able to reset your password.In this case let us know the relevant details about ur nimbuzz id and we will investigate about it.
- What if I delete my account, is it possible to recover it again?
- No. Once the account is deleted you won’t be able to recover or access it again through any means. You username will be deactivated and it won’t be possible to reactivate again. Your friends will not be able to contact you through nimbuzz or in the nimbuzz application.You will also not receive our newsletter..
- What if I forgot my username associated with the nimbuzz?
- We would like to bring this to your attention that to be able to retrieve your username in the scenario, you need to have your email address or phone number registered on your nimbuzz application during the time of verification/registration. Incase if email id or phone number is not registered, you won’t be able to retrieve your username. In this scenario, you provide us with the relevant details about your id and we will investigate.
- How can I report a abuse and illegal activities In nimbuzz?
- You can provide us with your authentic full name, mobile no. and email address, which will be kept confidential with us and can be used to communicate with you.
Please provide us with the name and profile screenshot of the users who were propagating/purveying the incident or abuse. Please send us the time and the date of the event on firstname.lastname@example.org
Please also add Any other relevant detail about the incident would be helpful for us..
- What if my Nimbuzz id is hacked?
- There is some criteria which you have to follow and provide us with some basic information regarding your nimbuzz id which as follows:
Please specify your nimbuzz id?
Please specify how and when did it come to your attention that your account was stolen or hacked?
Did you have an email or phone no. associated with it?if yes, please provide us with the same?
For validation purpose, can you tell us where was your nimbuzz account created?
Please do provide us with more relevant details regarding your nimbuzz account?
- What if my password is not received?
- You can provide us with your registered mobile no./email address as well as your nimbuzz id.we would also like to bring this into your attention that currently, we are only able to priced you with password reset function via SMS on your registered mobile number on our application.
- What if I have to re activate my deleted account?
- As per our terms and condition written on the website. There is no way to recover your deleted nimbuzz id. You can still create a new Nimbuzz id through our ‘Create Account’ in the application or on the website.